Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers

Road Accident Compensation Lawyers

Personal injuries occur in day-to-day life and can have an immense effect on a person’s life.  People who have suffered an injury or trauma as a result of being involved in an accident (either as a driver or passenger) often suffer on-going pain, disability, emotion and/or financial distress as a result of the injury or accident.

When you need a motor vehicle accident lawyer, Macrossan & Amiet Solicitors are here for you. We can offer advice on a wide variety of accident circumstances, as well as complete the necessary paperwork for your compensation claim.

The law of negligence operates to protect people who have suffered an injury and Motor Accident Insurance Act 1994 and Compulsory Third Party (“CTP”) Insurance are there to support those injured as a result of a motor vehicle accident.

Call 07 4944 2000 to book an appointment.


CTP Vehicle Insurance

CTP Insurance is the insurance that forms part of your Vehicle Registration and indemnifies the registered owner/s and driver in the event of an accident.  The CTP Insurance covers personal injury claims made against you by other road users such as drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and pillion passengers.  CTP Insurance does not include property damage.

Contact Us

Name *
Fill out this field
Email *
Fill out this field
Phone *
Fill out this field
Text *
Fill out this field

Types of Motor Accidents

Types of accidents include, but are not limited to:

  • car accident
  • bus accident
  • tram accident
  • taxi accident
  • train accident
  • motorbike accident
  • quad bike accident
  • bicycle / cycling accident
  • truck accident
  • hit and run accident.

Types of Motor Injuries

Types of injuries include, but are not limited to:

  • Back injury
  • Spinal injury
  • Slipped disc injury
  • Neck injury
  • Shoulder injury
  • Head injury
  • Brain injury
  • Whiplash
  • Leg injuries such as knee, ankle
  • Arm injuries such as wrist, hand, elbow
  • Psychological injuries
  • Stress

How Does the CTP Vehicle Compensation Claims Work?

After you’ve been involved in an accident, it’s recommended that a claim for compensation is submitted to the appropriate CTP insurer promptly. It is your responsibility to find out who the insurer is for the other vehicle involved in the collision. We can obtain this information, provided you have the vehicle’s registration number and the date on which the accident happened.


How to be Eligible for a Compensation Claim?

To be eligible for an initial payment towards immediate medical expenses, a claim should be submitted within thirty days of the accident. In any event, the claim needs to be lodged within nine months of the accident (where an insurer has been identified) and three months where the vehicle hasn’t got an insurer and the claimant needs to apply to the Nominal Defendant Scheme.

In some cases, you may be able to submit a claim after these deadlines have passed – for example, if your injuries were so severe that you weren’t in a fit state to complete claim information. We recommend seeking legal advice on this issue, to optimise the chances of your claim being accepted after the usual deadlines have passed.

The compensation claim usually consists of two amounts.

– Rehabilitation benefits (an amount that covers out of pocket medical costs for rehabilitation).
– Personal damages (an amount paid in recognition of lasting limitations that the accident has imposed on a person’s ability to work, as well as to cover additional costs for care that a person may now require).

Vehicle Compensation Claim for Drivers & Passengers

In the event of a motor vehicle accident, regardless of whether you are the driver or a passenger, you may be entitled to make a claim for compensation.  A claim for compensation is usually made to the CTP insurer noted on the at fault vehicles registration.  If the accident involves an unregistered vehicle or an unknown vehicle a claim for compensation is made to the Nominal Defendant.

At fault drivers and drivers of single vehicle accidents, who have suffered serious injury, have limited cover under the CTP policy in certain circumstances.  If you are a passenger of a vehicle of a single vehicle accident, you can make a claim against the driver CTP insurer.  At fault drivers who suffer serious injury have limited cover under the CTP policy in certain circumstances.

As a result of an accident, you may be entitled to claim for damages such as past and future loss of earnings, past and future care, out-of-pocket medical expenses and possible future medical expenses including surgery.  In additional to these your claims will also be determined by your age and the severity of your injuries.


Talk to Our Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers!

We recommend seeking legal advice as soon as practical after an injury or motor vehicle accident, as time limits apply to bringing a claim.  We also note that you must co-operate with the insurer and ‘mitigate’ your losses.

Frequently Asked Questions


I have had my claim rejected – can you help?

This will depend on the reasons for the rejection. In some cases, we may be able to support you in providing information that might mean you’re eligible for a claim.


What damages can be awarded?

The personal damage aspect of a claim can be complex. Damages are awarded to try to place you in the same position (so far as money can) as if you had not been injured. Damages are assessed on an individual basis to take account of how your own life has been affected. Our experts will provide advice to guide you as to what to expect and what evidence is necessary to maximise your claim.


Can I claim compensation if the accident was my fault?

In some cases, yes! This depends on the specific circumstances of the case and the conditions of the insurance as well as the nature of your injury. At fault drivers have only limited coverage. We are happy to discuss your case with you and establish if a claim is possible.

Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers

Macrossan & Amiet

Gene Paterson

Stuart Naylor

Kendell Bocos

Brigid Paterson

Dyane Norton

Call (07) 4944 2000